Monday, March 12, 2012

Just My Type: A Book About Fonts by Simon Garfield

Simon Garfield's collection of snappy essays about fonts is just the thing for font nerds like me. I confess that I started with Chapter 21: The Worst Fonts in the World, second from the end, before flipping back to the beginning.

A little bit of Garfield's material is duplicated in the Helvetica documentary film. There are some great quotes, such as this one from Peter Fraterdeus: "There is no legitimate typographic reason to create an alphabet which looks like it leaked out of a diaper." Garfield also quotes Robert Bringhurst, author of The Elements of Typographical Style.

Thanks to Garfield, I learned that there is a YouTube video of a quick brown fox jumping over a lazy dog. Learning + fun = Great book.

No comments: