Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Days of Anna Madrigal by Armistead Maupin

Armistead Maupin has said that The Days of Anna Madrigal is the very last in his Tales of the City series that began in the 1970s. I'm sad that there will be no new adventures forthcoming for his motley crew of mostly queer characters, but realistically, Anna is 92 and frail now. Michael and Brian are in their 60s. It is preferable to end on a high note -- and I'm not talking about the kind induced by mind-altering substances! Although there is some of that, because The Days of Anna Madrigal is true to form. It is also every bit as fabulous as I had hoped. A high note, indeed.

I was fortunate to have access to a digital ARC, courtesy of the publisher.

Readalikes: Skios (Michael Frayn); Love, Dishonor, Marry, Die, Perish, Cherish (David Rakoff). See also my review of Maupin's previous book in the series, Mary Ann in Autumn.

No comments: