Monday, January 20, 2014

Overview of My Reading in 2013

I like to look back on my reading stats at the end of each year and Shelfari makes it pretty easy to pull these together. This is how it breaks down for 2013:

Total books read (not counting picture books) = 289
Graphic is from my Shelfari account (2008 - present).
My average rating might be slightly higher than other
members because I'm good at selecting books that
I'm likely to enjoy. 1 and 2 star ratings are mostly
book club selections that I wouldn't have read otherwise.

Adult fiction = 117 (41%)
Adult non-fiction = 67 (23%)
YA = 39 (13%)
Short story collections = 23 (8%)
Children's fiction = 19 (7%)
Children's non-fiction = 16 (6%)
Poetry = 7 (2%)

Included in the above are:

Graphic novels = 34 (12%)
Audiobooks = 67 (23%)
Books written by women = 166 (57%)
Books by Canadians = 57 (20%)
Local authors = 9 (3%)
GLBTQ = 49 (17%)
Published more than 20 years ago = 9 (3%)

Only 9 books by local authors? That surprises me. I must make more of an effort this year. I've got a stack by Edmonton authors on my TBR... right next to my bed... so there is no excuse for this poor representation. One local poetry collection that will absolutely, definitely, positively be counted in 2014 is Kissing Keeps Us Afloat. It's my sweetie's second book and it will be published later this year by Frontenac House. An author in my own home; you can't get any more local than that!

No comments: